There’s no way around it. Doors are an important design feature and one of the first things we notice about a house. Although you might be tempted to exclude doors from your renovation plans, upgrading them is an excellent opportunity to improve your home’s functionality and aesthetic appeal. To help open the door to this exciting reno project, we’ve put together this handy guide.
Whether inside or out, these upgrades can be applied to virtually any door in your home:
- Apply a fresh coat of paint or textured finish.
- Swap old hardware for new handles, locks and hinges in contemporary metals like polished nickel or black powder coat.
- Replace outdated, hollow core doors with more durable (and noise-dampening) fibreglass composite, solid wood or insulated steel designs.
- Incorporate glass inserts whenever possible to increase light and brighten the interior of your home.
- Apply stick-on frosted decals to glass where increased privacy is desired.
- Replace old weather stripping to ensure your home is being protected from the elements.